False bottom for keggle questions....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffski123

Reaction score
Im fixing to start converting my Keggles and was just wondering if a false bottom is necessarily the way to go, or could i just use the same set up i have in my cooler mash tun. I have a stainless steel braided hose set up. Any input is appreciated, thanks....:mug:

here are pics for visual reference.

2012-05-08_14-21-03_842.jpg

2012-05-08_14-22-34_758.jpg

2012-05-08_14-22-43_731.jpg

IMO/IME, a false bottom (especially one from NorCal/Jaybird) is the way to go. I have one of the 15" with the hinge, handle, and hole from them and it works excellent.
MashTunInside2.jpg

Of course, I only have the false bottom in my mash tun keg, not the boil keggle... :D

BTW, the false bottom means the entire diameter of the keg is your manifold/filter element. Not just one hose running a short distance.

I got one from Jaybird like a year ago and haven't used it yet. I use a bazooka screen which I suppose will get broken some day from the coil.

I question the necessity of the false bottom for keggle vs a bazooka screen for boil.

I got one from Jaybird like a year ago and haven't used it yet. I use a bazooka screen which I suppose will get broken some day from the coil.

I question the necessity of the false bottom for keggle vs a bazooka screen for boil.

I have nothing in my boil keggle... I do use a hop spider, so it keeps the hop matter to a bare minimum (at worst).

Back