Any difference between extract partial boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
and full boil extract other than hop utilization? Do you get the same issues w/ darkening/caramelization etc. I just did my first AG:mug: and had lots of fun and but I have lots of extract on hand and was wondering about doing an extract full boil brew. The other option is saving all of my DME for starters.

Regards,
Al

My understanding is that a full extract boil not only increases hops utilizationo, but also prevents carmelization of the wort and gives better results. I had only done a couple of full boils with extract, but I do remember being pleased with the results.

You can always use DME for starters, like you mentioned, and also save some for your first few AGs. If your efficiency is bad, you could use DME to bring the OG up where it needs to be. Also, I would consider doing a PM and using extract along with a full boil for best results in an extract brew.

Hey Yooper thanks for the reply. I hit 1.053 on my first AG that was supposed to be 1.057 so I was fairly pleased with that for my first one. I think i could knock out an extract batch on my new kettle etc pretty quickly to refill some kegs. I was just wondering if typical extract probs went away w/ full boils.

I've never done a PM so I'll probably stay away from that since I'd have to learn a whole new process.

Thanks again,
Al

Hey Yooper thanks for the reply. I hit 1.053 on my first AG that was supposed to be 1.057 so I was fairly pleased with that for my first one. I think i could knock out an extract batch on my new kettle etc pretty quickly to refill some kegs. I was just wondering if typical extract probs went away w/ full boils.

I've never done a PM so I'll probably stay away from that since I'd have to learn a whole new process.

Thanks again,
Al

Of course it's up to you, but a PM isn't a whole new process at all. It's just using some DME to bring up the fermentables, instead of only grain. So, you could do an extract or AG recipe with the steeping grains and some 2-row, and then use DME for the majority of the fermentables. I used to just put the grains in a big grain bag to do that. You can use up the DME, but have better tasting beer because of using grains as well. Just a thought!

Back