Starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea_of_Shells

Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm brewing a batch this week and using a starter for the first time.

I have an estimated 1.072 starting gravity calculated at 60%. Before I've used 2 smack packs when pitching, but since I'm making a starter this time, will 1 smack pack be suffucient? I plan on using Wyeast 1056 and the beer will be a partial mash IPA.

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Www.yeastcalc.com

You can plug in all the numbers and do a stepped starter. Do the first step, let ferment, cold crash and decant the liquid, create the second step, cool and pour into the first, let ferment and so on. When completed, cold crash for 18-24 hours, decant most of the liquid, mix up the rest as a slurry and pitch

Yep...i would do a 2 litre starter on that......like duboman said.

So you could do this over a 2 day period....48 hours before your brew day....HOWEVER.... i would recommend you start a day or two early in case it is slow to start...happened to me last week.....took my starter 3 days....luckily i started early. If it finishes early...then you just set it in the fridge until brew day

So if you are not sure of the exact steps for the starter let us know....there are no dumb questions on here........only the ones that aren't asked!

Back