Forgot the Campden tab, how bad do you think it'll be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wan2ride

Reaction score
So I was patting myself on the back this morning for getting everything right on my first partial mash, Surly Cynic from NB, with it only being my third brew, and then I realized that I'd completely forgotten to add the Campden tab before mashing and boiling. Doh! :mad:
From what I've read there's nothing to be done about it now except RDWHAHB, but I'm wondering if there's any educated guesses about how much the chlorophenols might present themselves. I checked my water report and it looks like we've got 3ppm. I got the wort as cool as possible 74* and pitched the Wyeast 3522 smack pack. Used the wet tshirt method to bring the temp down to 66*. Will temperature have any affect on off flavors? I was planning to bring it up slowly to the mid 70s, but if keeping it cool will help negate some of the worst off flavors then I'll try that. Heck, as I've never had Cynic before will I even notice? AS long as it doesn't taste like bandaid I'm willing to chalk it up as a funky Belgian and try again with the proper steps next time.
Yes this newbie lack of attention to detail and worry, but any advice or opinion would be welcome.

Thanks!

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I'm no water chemist, but 3ppm doesn't sound like too much, and I've never used campden, even though I use a mix of filtered/RO and tap water.

Keeping the temps low will help prevent the yeast from making off flavors. Whether the chlorophenols and the yeast/yeast byproducts interact to create the off flavors or something else...well I just don't know.

I have found that for most of the styles that I brew, fermenting on the low end for the first 3-4 days is the best way to get a clean, off-flavor free, beer.

I've forgotten to add my potassium metabisulfite (same thing as campden) before and the beer turned out ok. I doubt you will notice much difference.

If you just have chlorine then you shouldn't have issues at all, when you heated the water a lot will dissipate, and boiling gets rid of chlorine. If you have chloromines then you might end up with some chlorophenol flavors.

Well I guess I'll see how tolerant my tastebuds are for chlorophenols. Maybe I'll get lucky and not even notice it. I'm brewing primarily because my wife loves saisons and this one sounded good, but her tastes in beer are a bit different than mine so hopefully it's good to her.

What does a campden tablet do? I have never used them.

The only addition I have ever made was on my last brew, at the suggestion of my LHBS. It was a small addition of calcium carbonate and gypsum. I have no idea yet of what the change will be.

If your water is not terrible, if you forget to add things it will only cause the beer not to be the best it could be.

If your water is terrible you will see a difference if you do not adjust properly.

What does a campden tablet do? I have never used them.

The only addition I have ever made was on my last brew, at the suggestion of my LHBS. It was a small addition of calcium carbonate and gypsum. I have no idea yet of what the change will be.

If your water is not terrible, if you forget to add things it will only cause the beer not to be the best it could be.

If your water is terrible you will see a difference if you do not adjust properly.

Campden's a sterilizer. It also eliminates chlorine and chlorine from tap water if added to the strike water before the mash. I don't use it for brewing, I usually use spring or build water from R/O, but we use it in winemaking at each racking to knock the yeast out and to keep the bugs at bay.

If you just have chlorine then you shouldn't have issues at all, when you heated the water a lot will dissipate, and boiling gets rid of chlorine. If you have chloromines then you might end up with some chlorophenol flavors.

This. Chloramines are a lot more persistent in water than chlorine. Even then, my municipal water uses chloramine and my water report shows it around 2-3 ppm every year (IIRC) but my first few batches didn't use campden tablets and they came out fine. Now it's more of a safe measure in my brew day.

Well it's been in the bottles about five weeks now and tasting pretty good. I've heard chlorophenols will increase with age as opposed to other off flavors that will mellow or dissipate. It's still a bit green, I'll give it another two or the weeks before I have anymore, but there's no unusual flavors present that can't be chalked up to young beer and saison style. I've had a friend who enjoys belgians try it and he didn't pick up anything too crazy either.
For any other newbies out interested parties out there I'd say a very low chloramine count might not be a problem depending on your palette. There is anecdotal evidence on other threads that chloramines in the ppb range can cause detectable chlorophenols, but so far so good.

Back