Can hop trub and cold break clog a plate chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
I am looking to add either a CC or a plate chiller to my brewery. I typically wind up with a fair amount of trub and break material in my fermenter.. would this be a problem for a plate chiller? Also,would it be a prob for a CC?

Yes, hop trub will clog a plate chiller. It can also clog a CFC if there is enough there, but it's much less likely. I bag my hops when using my plate chiller.

Ok,thanks. I assume break material will clog as well,although it doesn't seem as dense as hop trub?

With a chiller like a CFC or Plate Chiller cold break happens in the chiller. It doesn't clog up.

A CFC usually has no nooks and crannies for stuff to get stuck in. It's a straight shot in and out, whereas a PC not only has tighter quarters but also pressure drops and places where things can settle out.

If you're recirculating you might be better off with the CFC or a whirlpool/IC system. For one pass chilling the plate chiller seems like a good way to go since its more compact.

If you're recirculating you might be better off with the CFC or a whirlpool/IC system. For one pass chilling the plate chiller seems like a good way to go since its more compact.

I recirc with my plate chiller and don't have any issues, before I had a pump I used gravity with good results as well. Recircing I get down below 62F and use less water for chilling.

Last time I brewed I used a copper scrubby at the end of my dip tube. It did a great job of keeping any kind of chunk out of the CFC. I'm confident that it would work very well with a PC as well. They also make Stainless scrubbies, which would be a preferred option IMO.

I recirc with my plate chiller and don't have any issues, before I had a pump I used gravity with good results as well. Recircing I get down below 62F and use less water for chilling.

Do you position your pickup tube up out of the trub? And do you sock your hops? Seems like some of the stringy looking pils break I get would hang up in a PC, but not having used one I can't say for sure.

Do you position your pickup tube up out of the trub? And do you sock your hops? Seems like some of the stringy looking pils break I get would hang up in a PC, but not having used one I can't say for sure.

My diptube draws from the center of my keggle, I do use a Hop Spider to bag my hops.

Latest posts

Back