2nd year plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfp03001

Reaction score
My 2nd Year Goldings hop plant did not grow very cones this year. I think its getting to much sun where it is. Does anyone know about how much sun they should get? Its in the most sunny part of the yard now and the some of the leaves where turning brown and falling off for a while. I think I am going to move then next year they are not in a good location anyway.

Also I don't think I am going to harvest what is up there. Its not worth it if there were 40 cones I would be surprised also its right next to a angry hornets who decided to nest under the siding of my house... There is nothing wrong with leaving them up there till wilt besides that I will not get any hops right?

40 cones might be an ounce dry at best. I grow hops but don't have any goldings. I have heard that yields are less from the nobles for some reason, but 40 cones is horrible. I got way more than that on my first year plants.

Usually by the end of the third year you'll know if it's a 'keeper' or not. Some varieties are poor producers where ever they're grown. Check this link: http://www.yakimachief.com/hopvarieties/ycivarieties.pdf and look at some of the 'yield' for the different varieties. This may give you a better understanding of the individual vigor. I would give it one more year before you decide to yank it or not. Hope this helps.

Ok thanks I'll check out that link now. Its defiantly not under watering thats the problem. I just looked up my yield from last year from it and it was only 0.5oz dried

It is almost impossible for hops to get too much sun. The main growing areas in the USA have 14-16 hours of sunlight, every day, all summer.

Latest posts

Back