15 gal Inductor Tank Respirating, Mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldrice

Reaction score
I can't figure out a way to seal up the band around the lid. I have white life forming on my beers if I ferment in primary longer than ten days. So far it actually hasn't imparted any discernable off flavors. All I can think to use is cpvc cement, as it is the only adhesive I know of that's non-toxic. At high krausen the beer foams up to this level, so my thought is that silicone would be bad... what's everyone doing? And also, what about the threading in the lids?

You really don't need to seal the lid. Bacteria/wild yeasts do not crawl through the tiny gaps. Also, the co2 production adds a layer of protection. I removed the threaded part, and just set the lid on top of the opening. Put a weight on top and off you go! Take a peak every couple of days to see how things are going...

Dave

My 15 gallon conical was the same as yours. I don't use it in the summer, because no matter how hard I try to seal it up, I think fruit flies can get in somehow. I can't really temp control it at all in the summer so its at 70 ambient and I don't use it.
I have found if I only leave the beer in it for 10-14 days I am good, but longer than that I would have issues.

Back