Tempurature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpparker

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new here and have a quick question. I keep my house close to 68 degrees (and sometimes a couple degrees less much to the chagrin of my very patient loving lady). My question is this too cool to get my yeast going? The recipes in the kits I've done so far say it needs to be 72 to 75 Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

68 is fine. What yeast are you using? Usually there is a temp range like 62-72.

You might a slower start but it should be fine. You're crazy living in a 68 degree home. I'm freezing at 74. Anyway, if you make a yeast starter, the yeast will have time to multiply and get acclimated to the current conditions and your fermentation will go without a hitch. Temp-wise, depends on what you're looking for. Nice clean profile, 68 will be fine. Want something a little more estery, bump it up to about 72ish.

Yup, 68 or so works very well for white wines, and some 'fruit forward' reds. For the more tannic, heavier reds you should move into the low 70s. Don't sweat the 68 degrees, you'll probally make better wine, and then she will be more 'understanding'! :)

Darn it! My reply didn't come through. I was saying thanks for the replies and also thinking I may get a little space heater for this room considering the temp fluctuates quite a bit with the weather. Wasn't a problem with the warmer weather outside but may be with the winter months ahead.

Much appreciated everyone!

Just remember that the fermenting product will generate heat on its own....I tend to average 8-10F rise in the ferment temp itself. Had one batch hit 18F rise and I was very concerned about cooking my ferment....ended up giving it an ice bath. During summer our house typically sits at 72-74, spring/fall 68-70, once winter hits we maintain thermostat at 70 but will use a space heater.
I do agree that you should check the temp range of the yeast you plan to use, as they play such a vital role. People use space heaters, brew belts, heating pads, etc. when dealing with cool temps. I have read that some build insulated ferment cabinets.

Back