stainless braid in a keggle mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie63

Reaction score
anyone using braid in their Keggle mash tuns? have any pics on how you configured the braid doe to the concave bottom?

if you will be using a direct fire mash tun you may want to use a false bottom to avoid scorching the grain in which case it will be tricky to use a braid. might be possible with the braid but it seems like a false bottom and a dip tube are the way to go.

Our LHBS uses a copper manifold in their direct fire 3-tier MLT....you need to be very careful with the heat and constantly stir. They also fly sparge with that setup...seems to work out OK, it's the rig they use for all their classes.

I use a false vottom right now, made from the keg top drilled 1/8 inch holes all over it and cut slits on the raised star pattern. I use a drilled #10 stopper and run a pickup tube thru the center. I get much better filteration thru the braid in my 10 gal igloo cooler, I vorlauf once or twice and its clear I need to run 10 vorlaufs in my false bottom and yes it seals along the edges pretty well.

Back