What sequels were better than the first installment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diaperload

Reaction score
The other movie thread inspired this thread.

The other day we were having a discussion at work on what sequels were actually better than the first installment. Our list was pretty short.

My nomination would be Aliens. Although Alien was an outstanding movie I thought Aliens was a notch better.

Blade 2 perhaps?

Maybe Superman 2.

Honorable mentions: Godfather part 2 and Empire Strikes Back.

Definitely Road Warrior. Mad Max was decent but Road Warrior blew the first installment away.

Anybody else have a nomination?

Empire Strikes Back

The Dark Knight

Revenge of the Sith (easily better than the other 2 prequels)

Wrath of Kahn

Spiderman 2

Silence of the Lambs (maybe being a little too technical here, but it's the sequel to Manhunter, with just awhole different cast and crew)

Return of the King - Best of the LOTR movies

BTW I don't know if I'd say Godfather part 2 is better than The Godfather. JMO I prefer the original but it could be because I love Marlon Brando.

Empire Strikes Back

The Dark Knight

Revenge of the Sith (easily better than the other 2 prequels)

Wrath of Kahn

Spiderman 2

Silence of the Lambs (maybe being a little too technical here, but it's the sequel to Manhunter, with just awhole different cast and crew)

Return of the King - Best of the LOTR movies

BTW I don't know if I'd say Godfather part 2 is better than The Godfather. JMO I prefer the original but it could be because I love Marlon Brando.

good call on Wrath of Khan, but saying Episode III was better than Episodes I & II is like saying getting punched in the 'nads is better than getting kicked in the 'nads or head-butted in the 'nads; I'll pass on all of them

Disagree, Manhunter was generally superb. I also thought Cox as Lector was far more unsettling than Hopkins.

breakin2.jpg

I like Shrek 2 & 3. Both were better than the originals. I have kids, so Ive seen them all (thats my excuse). Wrath of Khan. Bourne Supremancy and Ultimatum were good too.

Army of Darkness was better than the other Evil Dead movies.

I think Road Warrior was better than Mad Max.

Many of the James Bond films were better than Dr. No.

I have no opinion on the Bourne series as I feel like they are all pretty much interchangeable.

Bring it on 2 and Legally Blonde 2.

In all seriousness though, Desperado was better than El Mariachi IMO.

The givens of Empire Strikes Back and Dark Knight.

Toy Story IMO got better with every film.

Bring it on 2 and Legally Blonde 2.

In all seriousness though, Desperado was better than El Mariachi IMO.

The givens of Empire Strikes Back and Dark Knight.

Toy Story IMO got better with every film.

disagree on Legally Blonde 2; I was not convinced by Elle Woods' motivations in the sequel and the casting of a different dog in the role of Bruiser ruined it for me

crap on that.

but you're right about Desperado

and with the original Toy Story being as great as it was, it was amazing to see them top it and then do it again

makes me wish Pixar would have done a sequel to The Incredibles

I would have to agree

now the 2nd Rocky is -->||<-- almost as good as the first

but I would urinate, defecate and expectorate on Rocky's III, IV, V, VI, VII, and any ones I missed

Rocky 1 and 2 were clearly the best 2 Rocky movies. I think one is the best, I mean it was a long shot film, Stallone was an unknown a nobody and wrote arguably the greatest sports movie of all time. 2 just lacked the greatness of 1. There was something great about seeing the underdog fight the champ and go the distance but to lose on technicality.

Rocky 3 and 4 were 80s gold. Rocky 5 though, garbage. New one was better than 5 but that's not saying much.

Can we do videogames?

Zone of the Enders 2 was way better than ZOE.

We Love Katamari was better than Katamari Damacy.

Crash Bandicoot 2 was better.

Jack 2 was better.

I can't believe no one agrees with me on Rambo I hated the first one and loved the second and third ones. The first was so cheesy and was so silly I thought. No one on hbt agrees?

I don't know how niche this is - but I enjoyed the second Trailer Park Boys movie more than the original.

Of course, they're both great.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go chase the bottle kids away from the double-wide!

Aliens was a terrible movie. Alien was a landmark film of both the horror and sci-fi genres.

(Sequels suck. All of them.)

That is all.

GrogNerd said:
I was disappointed in Hangover 2, didn't laugh once until they started showing the photos over the closing credits. then a couple of them made me split a gut laughing

Yeah true they could of made it better , funny things a 11.5 % old American ale aged in bourbon barrels will make you say !! Lol

How about the fast an ferious movies ? I liked most of them .

Aliens was a terrible movie. Alien was a landmark film of both the horror and sci-fi genres.

(Sequels suck. All of them.)

That is all.

What I found interesting about Alien was there use of trademarks and branding. Remember Purina symbols on the doors. I don't recall seeing that prior to Alien.

Definitely desparado.
The second Conan.
Ghostbusters 2
Highlander 2 ... Jk.
Could you really consider the newer hulk movie a sequel?

I'd have to say:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Toy Story 2
Terminator 2
The Bourne Ultimatum ... and Supremacy
Hot Shots Part Deux
Bill and Teds Bogus Journey
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

But the Best Sequel goes to... GodFather II

Was the second barman with de Vito as the penguin? Because definitely amazing.

I think you meant Batman...but I would definitely watch Barman, or Beerman, for that matter...

Of course, The Dark Pint would be a better movie than Barman Begins....

Back