Racking Tub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarles

Reaction score
OK so heres my situation, 3 nights ago i brewed two 5 gallons batches.
Both used the same yeast (Belgian Ale II) the problem is i think i pitched the yeast on one batch to early before the beer cooled enough and i think i might have killed them. The other batch is already fermenting like crazy. My question is, would it be safe/effective if i put a racking cane to the very bottom of the carboy that is fermenting fine and rack some of the trub into the other carboy? Will this bring active live yeast into the second batch? I can't effect the flavor TOO much, 2 cups of trub in 5 gallons?

Is picking up another pack of yeast (even if not the same variety) in the next day or two a possibility? If so, that'd be my suggestion. It's hard to predict how much yeast you'd get by racking trub, and there's no sense messing with both batches trying to save one of them unless you really have no choice.

If you are fermenting in buckets you could top crop if it is a top fermenting yeast, but I would recommend you make a starter, and you are already pushed for time.

just to follow up. I did one pump with my siphon from the bottom trub and one pump from the top layer of foam. maybe 2 cups of fluid max. fermentation started with in the hour, and was roaring by hour 8.

just to follow up. I did one pump with my siphon from the bottom trub and one pump from the top layer of foam. maybe 2 cups of fluid max. fermentation started with in the hour, and was roaring by hour 8.

Excellent...just a form of Krausening...works great, no problem!!

Latest posts

Back