Portland Hops Growing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhumm1

Reaction score
Anybody in Portland OR getting growth out of their hops? This rain is killing me. Got about 3' on a Zeus, but my Willamette and Magnum are only about 12" or so, which seems way behind from what I saw last year (all plants are 2nd years). Just curious if anyone else in NW is having better success and if so, any tricks of the trade to combat the weather?

I agree 100%. However, I know eventually the rain will stop, the sun will come out and the hops will take off. I have a Willamette bine that is about 4 feet and a Kent Goldings that is 1 foot.

NRS

i hear you're supposed to be in the upper 70's this weekend.

I'm up in seattle, i've got 2 first-year bines at about 3 feet, and one first year that I got as a start a week ago that's about 2 feet (centennial). i'm looking forward to sun as well. my friend has some over 10 feet already, but they're like 3rd or 4th year bines on a southern expesure with no competition for light.

My 2nd year Zeus, Galena and Centennial have all topped my 14' trellis. They haven't minded the weather at all, but I also have them in a very sunny spot and they're well fertilized/mulched.

If you're not seeing the growth you want, I would ask:

1) How many hours of direct, south sunlight do they receive? (for this you assume the sun in shining all day, not relative to cloudiness, just a gauge of how sunny your spot is under perfect conditions)
2) Have you fertilized them with a quality, preferably organic slow-release fertilizer?
3) Is the root zone competing with grass, weeds, other garden plants for nutrients in the vicinity? Grass in particular will choke out other plants' attempts to expand and grow underground.

mine are doing fine my 2nd year cascade is about 11 ft and this years cent is about 4 ft

dang. i'm way behind - southern exposure is good. When the sun is out they get it from about noon till the sun goes down. The soil is really clayey, but I pulled out the top 18" or so and replaced with potting soil. Fertilizer was just a slow release pellet fertilizer. Over the winter I covered each plant with leaves and clippings. I haven't been watering, but the soil has been wet from all the rain. I guess I'll hold out hope for the sun to really kickstart the growth, but sounds like others in the area are doing much better.

oh, and no, they aren't really competing with any other plants. They are on the side of the house and are the only plants over there.

im growing a chinook plant and two goldings in the portland area. the unpredictable weather, rain, and spotted sunny days are making my growth pretty slow.

mine are about 1.5 feet tall and they sprouted about a month ago

doing any better now after all this sun? i know mine have been cheering up a bit this weekend.

yeah, the couple days of sun got some good growth going. maybe a foot or so in the last 3 or 4 days. they'll get there eventually i hope

I'm near Seattle, and my Chinook is only about 2 feet tall (2nd year) however my Hallertauer (also 2nd year) is already over 12 feet! Strange growing year I guess....:confused:

haven't been following the weather in puyallup, but is has been some frustrating weather up here. always cloudy with a couple "teaser" days of sun here and there.

Back