my DBA starter.... double bastard ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosmatt

Reaction score
for search purposes... double bastard ale

well, just started my DBA starter. used a 1.4lb can of LME. in boiled/cooled water 3 qts, in a tree top 1 gallon juice container, cleaned and sanitized.
wlp001 yeast. og was 1.045. (had to dilute to get @ that gravity!) 3 qts in 1 gallon container.

the grain bill is:
12.5lbs of 2 row, and 1.5lbs of crystal 120l.

i am going to do two mashes, with 4 gals of water to 7.5lbs of grain, nice thin mash, and am planning a mashout of each, and one sparge, and a long ass boil.
og is 1.080+.
if i only end up with 4 gals into fermentor, im ok. but 6 is expected.

if i end up high, i can water down to hit the og....just in case, i have 1.4lbs of pale LME to help out.(hoping not needed)
luckily i have 2 burners, and pots, as well as 4 oz of chinook whole leaf.

wish me luck!

i have tomorrow to work out any possible issues, so, if you have input, please, TELL ME NOW!!!!

brew day is satrurday.
planning leaving on yeast cake, for three, or four weeks, and secondary for a month on an oz of chinook, then bottling.

sadly enough, i have no double bastard ale taste experience... but i do love AB. this will only be a tad stronger....
figure in bottle for 2 months. and taste.

anyway, anyone care to comment, please do.
the only thing certain thus far is the amount of hops on hand, and the amount of grains.
with my paltry 5 gallon cooler, im doing 2 mashes, and four sparges.
lots of boiling, and combine at the end for cooling/pitching of my starter.

will be using a blow off this time around.(duh)

I would think there would be more than 4 oz of hops especially in a double AB. Is 1 of those 4oz you list for the dry hop?

What is your hop schedule

1 oz @ 90
.5 @ 60
1.5 continous till FO
1.0 DH

i have 4 oz, and 15lbs of grain. so imma use what i got.
i cannot imagine dry hopping with 4 oz of chinook, but maybe thats normal?

Wow, that's gonna be a crazy beer. I can't imagine using all that Chinook, it's such a potent hop. Don't get me wrong, I love to bitter with Chinook but haven't tried to use it for anything but bittering. I guess at 1.080+ it will balance out. I've yet to venture into the BIG beers, so i don't really have any advice. Pretty cool though, I'll be interested to hear how it turns out.:mug:

I guess I don't know what kind of efficency you get, but 1.080+ seems pretty optimistic at 6 gallons. Your receipe is for 12.5lbs 2 row and 1.5lbs Crystal 120. If you calculate this out for a 6 gallon batch you would need an efficency of 96%. If you add the 1.4lbs of LME you would still need an efficency of 86% to do a 6 gallon batch. I think I would shoot for a 5 gallon batch and include the LME, this would be an efficency of 70%.

I would shoot for a 3-4 gal batch with your ingredient list. I am about to brew DB with 18 lbs 2 row, 2.5lbs of crystal, and 5 oz chinook without the dry hop. That should yield about 5.25 in the fermenter at 1.1

yeah, i have been messin with beersmith, looks like @ best i am 5 gals into fermentor, without the lme 1.080, with, 1.091.

im heating the first mash water now.

Back