Open Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gburnside

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I just sized up from a bunch of 5 gallon buckets fermenting with airlocks to a larger 20gallon open ferment. How do I know when the open fermentation is done? I have refractometer, when the fermentation is done will the refractometer read 0 bricks?

From what I have read about open fermentation, you usually ferment open until high kruasen then cover and proceed with airlock.

no, don't use it to measure alcohol liquid. And I have no idea what your doing with the 20 gal. just don't let o2 get in.

There are refractometer correction calculators online if you want to use your refractometer at the end of fermentation. Open fermentation can be done successfully, some commercial breweries use it but have controlled conditions if not seeking to make a lambic or other wild yeast fermented beer. To know if fermentation is done gravity readings should remain stable over a 3+ day period or longer.

Latest posts

Back