Bud Select Commercial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
So I just happened to catch this winning tagline...

"...and it's brewed LONGER so it's never filling". They even put those words on the screen while it was narrated. What the hell does brewing it LONGER mean? Are they trying to say they didn't bottle it 3 days into fermentation or what?

What's the obsession with making beer less filling? Yummmm...no mouthfeel.

Bobby_M said:

So when you have a belly full you have enough alcohol to get pretty messed up and can go piss on the neighbors yard.:p

It is pretty funny how they'll advertise a beer as being less filling and then give the disclaimer at the end to "please drink responsibly". Well the only reason that i could come with for advertising it as "less filling" would be so that people know they can go out and drink a lot and smashed (which probably doesnt fall under the category of responsible drinking).

Geek alert coming up...

The whole "less filling" thing is based on the marketing study Miller did when it came up with Miller Lite. Basically Bud was the whole beer market and Miller needed to find a way to differentiate themselves. So they staked out liquor stores and asked the customers coming out what beer they bought and why. Lots of people used the terms "light" and "less filling" to describe the beers they had chosen even though this doesn't actually mean anything. So Miller ran with it and created Miller Lite, "inventing" a whole new segment of the beer market.

It's all just a giant marketing ploy, the terms don't mean anything, but people respond to them so the big beer companies use them.

They make it because they sell ALOT of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We may not like it but many people do.

Taste is subjective. I myself like gourmet food but I hate sushi, just my tastes.

And remember if BMC didn't eliminate all the tasty beers would we had the craft and homebrew boom.

Its amazing to watch people in markets or beer stores buying BMC products, when there are so many others to choose from. I sometimes feel bad for them, as they will never know, or understand for that matter, that there are better options out there. Your going to pay more for it, but the taste makes up for it. Then there are the times that I don't feel bad for them, 'cause if that's all they can handle or think is good, then the good beer would be wasted on them anyway. Yeah...I'm a beer snob.

I actually don't mind Miller Lite. But I would go for a LaBatt's Blue Light first. I drink the light when I am tailgating...'cause that's for quantity, which light beer you can pack more in!

What's funny is that my wife noticed this commercial and brought it up to me. Wither her limited beer knowledge she asked me "what does brewed longer have to do with being filling? Wouldn't a beer that required a longer boil just be higher gravity and heavier?"

God I love my wife...

niquejim said:
They make it because they sell ALOT of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We may not like it but many people do.

N'Sync sold a ton of albums, but they still suck. $$ != quality.

krispy d said:
What's funny is that my wife noticed this commercial and brought it up to me. Wither her limited beer knowledge she asked me "what does brewed longer have to do with being filling? Wouldn't a beer that required a longer boil just be higher gravity and heavier?"

God I love my wife...

Maybe they meant fermented out longer (common schmoe may not know what that is, so they say brewed - like the news saying an oil rig, which there is no such thing: drilling rig, production platform/facility, etc)

I bought a 6 pack for close to $ 9.00 before the hurricane and I remember it tasting like total crap - worse than regular Bud. 2 row my ass, should have named it Panther Pilsner.

Bobby_M said:

an advantage when your abv is 4% + change and you want to get smackerd, plan on pouring a good number of 'em down your gullet.

I always like the Coors Light ad. Their tag line for flavour is "Tastes as cold as the Rockies."

As cold as the Rockies? Is that just about refergeration? Can't you get urine to taste as cold as the Rockies?

You're a billion dollar brewing company and the best you can say about your beer is that it's cold?

Rudeboy

Back