Looking for an Online HBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin18

Reaction score
I'm looking for an online vendor that will sell grain in increments smaller than 1 lb. Do you have any suggestions that is not BrewMastersWarehouse?

I'm considering purchasing a mill and buying base malt in bulk, but I'll still need small amounts of specialty malts. I could suck it up and go to a LHBS but the big one here in Raleigh is one I try to avoid if possible.

Midwest sells specialty & crystal malts in 1/2lb sizes really cheap. I still have carahell,chocolate,& rauchmalt in 1/2lb bags in the fridge. Less than a buck for 1/2lb of a lot of them.

One of the problems with selling grain in less than an pound, is it costs more for packaging (time and materals) (and shipping) than what the grain is worth.
For doing small amounts, we have to package it and label it,then print the invoice. For what .50 to .60c ? It takes the same amount of work for 3 or 4 oz as it does for a pound. If we were to charge more to make it worth our while, it would be cheaper to buy a pound.
Say you get 6 ounces at .20c an ounce is $1.20 and a pound is $1.49, which would you rather have?

True enough. But when I ordered enough stuff for 2 batches from midwest with a couple other needs,I got free shipping on the $63& change I spent. So it came out good for me. They are a big supplier though,I realise that.

I see your point, but at the same time I'd really not pay for grain that I'm not going to use to save your company time and money. As a customer I'd rather pay more to get the amount needed for my recipe, so I don't have spend my time weighing and splitting out the specialty grains.

As for myself,I use like 1/2lb of many specialty/crystal grains in my recipes. Some use less,like chocolate malts & the like. Then 1/2lb goes for two batches. And since I keep them in the fridge,they'll keep well for a couple weeks. I do a finer crush on them for biab on brewday,so I think it freshens them up a bit.

Nice recommendation tjpfeister. I just added them to my favorites - I'll have to give them a shot. I'm impressed by the "Same Day shipping - Orders placed by 2:30 PM Eastern" posted on their website.

I see your point, but at the same time I'd really not pay for grain that I'm not going to use to save your company time and money. As a customer I'd rather pay more to get the amount needed for my recipe, so I don't have spend my time weighing and splitting out the specialty grains.

this

Austin Homebrew is a decent company to deal with though the shipping could take a while to deliver in California. These days we try to keep several pounds of the specialty grains in storage which we obtain from the LHBS. Crushing our own grain was almost as important as maintaining proper fermenting temperatures in improving the quality of our beer.

I'll start adding "by the ounce" :mug:

Austin homebrew if you put the lb to zero and then do fractional amount

+1. I've used AHB for years and usually place a big order with them at the start of my brewing season (off-season for sailing). I have them bag my grains in smaller amounts that are about the amounts I intend to use per batch. This makes it easier to store them. I've had them do the same with DME too. Not a problem and, as pointed out, you can do it straight from their web site.

Got to visit their shop recently on a short trip to the USA. Cool place. Good staff.

There are really, really great online retailers out there. It never ceases to amaze me how wide an array of products you can get, cheaply, quickly, and with outstanding service.

I have had good experiences with GraintoGlassHomebrew.com. Very good prices on hops and cheap shipping. I like them because they actually list the year of the hops, like 2012, 2011, etc...instead of leaving you to guess if it's new or old hops. The grain prices are about the same as I pay locally. And it comes right to my house.

Back