Hopworks Organic Velvet ESB clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbblaine

Reaction score
In Portland, a brewery called Hopworks Urban Brewery has a wonderful beer called Velvet ESB. It's made of all organic ingredients and includes Bob's Red Mill Organic Oats according to the description on the site (Velvet ESB | Hopworks)

I am really wanting to attempt a clone recipe myself, but was wondering what somebody could suggest as far as the amount of Oats to use? Also, what would the process be for using the Oats? Does it require a protein rest?
(I have done 2 AG batches so far but they have been simple infusion mashes)

Thanks for reading. I hope you guys can help!

Use flaked oats, they won't require a protein rest so you can still use a single infusion mash. Beersmith says the max amount to use in a batch should not exceed 30% of the total grainbill.

Do you have a recipe made up yet? I brew all organic and get my ingredients from Seven Bridges. Sometimes it's hard converting recipes to what I can find that's organic. Hops are almost always different. Sometimes I have to buy non-organic malts from my LHBS when I need things like rye malt.

I've been thinking about brewing an ESB (never brewed one before) and I'm browsing recipes.

Back