Determining flameout for hop bursting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigHoppa

Reaction score
I have recently experimented with hop bursting and am trying to determine how long after flameout that I could assume as a zero point for adding hops so that no or very minimal ibu's are added. When I add at flameout, it appears to be raising my ibu's up a noticeable amount and takes the beer out of balance. I am typically adding 1-2 oz at flameout for a 5 gallon batch and use a 40' wort chiller which gets my 5 gallon batch down to 80F in about 15 mins. Any suggestions?

Try cooling to around 180 then stop and add flameout additions, let steep for 15 or 20 miniuts then continue to cool.

Try cooling to around 180 then stop and add flameout additions, let steep for 15 or 20 miniuts then continue to cool.

This, although I always continued to cool and let the hops sit a minimum of 20-30 in the kettle before transfer.

Thanks guys...I appreciate the input. Safe to say that I may want to time how long it takes from flameout to reach the 180F and adjust my other additions as well.

Back