Lager question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Ok, so i moved my lager from the fridge into room temp. Once i did that, the bubbles in the air lock have taken off! (before that in the fridge, it was like once every 20 seconds, no its like once every 5 seconds)

Just wondering if this was normal?

thanks

i dont know, i just read somewhere and someone else told me that after 10 days, warm it up to room temp, then transfer to secondary and put it back in at 40-44

When lagering and using a yeast that produces a lot of diacetyl, you'll need to do a diacetyl rest where you raise the fermenting tempertures up to around 60f to finish fermentation. This is done when you are at aprox. 2/3 of the way to terminal gravity.
Then you rack to secondary for your lagering.

BTW the rest is needed so the yeast can "eat" the diacetyl and give you a clean lager taste.
Not all yeasts need a rest as most don't produce enough diacetyl that can't be absorbed through normal fermentation in primary.

As with everything time is relative. With lagers it is best not to rely on time alone to judge when a brew needs a rest or to be racked. Use your hydrometer.

boo boo said:
BTW the rest is needed so the yeast can "eat" the diacetyl and give you a clean lager taste.
Not all yeasts need a rest as most don't produce enough diacetyl that can't be absorbed through normal fermentation in primary.

As with everything time is relative. With lagers it is best not to rely on time alone to judge when a brew needs a rest or to be racked. Use your hydrometer.

Hmm . . . so, how do we know which yeast strains need a diacetyl rest? I have two packets of the Saflager 23 - should I do a diacetyl rest with this yeast?

Back