MacManus Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloaf

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP004
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
SRM 40
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days at 68*F
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
mild roasted coffee flavor but not too much, not over bearing.
.5 lb Crystal 120 Malt
.5 lb Muntons Chocolate Malt
.5 lb Muntons Black Roasted Malt
30 min steep at 150-160*F

7 lb light LME
8 oz Maltodextrin

Yeast: WLP 004 Irish Ale Yeast

1 oz Fuggles at 60 min
1 oz Kent Goldings at 20 min

5.5 gal recipe

5.1% to 5.2% ABV

This is a very easy to make stout. Everyone so far who has tried it loved it and wanted more. Even the non-stout drinkers which really surprised me. This does have a Guinness similarity due to the yeast and is very crisp minus the nitrogen carbonation. I carbed it low on purpose to give it a more traditional feel however some might like it carbed higher. I let it bottle condition for 6-8 weeks and tasted amazing! I will post a pic as well. From what it looks like I will have to keep this one on tap as well. I hope you enjoy!

beerloaf

2mwi35y.jpg

I think it would probably be pretty tasty and might make it better. It already has some chocolate flavor due to the dark grains but more won't hurt. I don't know about the mint but what the hell, might be pretty good but I just wouldn't over do it. I think you can add just about anything to this and will be pretty decent.

I have a hard time keeping this one around. As a matter of fact I'm down to the last 6 pack. I will probably brew this again soon however it will be 10 gal batch. One of my SWMBO's friends is a big stout fan and she is funny now because she compares this one to all of the commercial stouts available around here and she would rather drink this. Others have told me the same thing.

beerloaf

I think I will try this one. Big stout fan. I think out of the 5 gallon batch I'll do 3 gallons according to recipe and the other 2 gallons by adding coco and make a mint extract out of fresh mint all boiled down. I got access to alot of it. Then if I dont like the choc/mint combo, I only have to force down 2 gallons of it! Perfect!

Sounds good, let me know how that turns out. I'm curious about the mint, that's something I've never used.

beerloaf

I bottled a 10 gal batch of this on Thanksgiving. Actually kegged 5 and bottled 5. This was AG instead of extract. I mashed at 154*F for 60 min and used 17.2 lb of pale malt plus specialty grains and hops doubled listed above. OG came in a little lower at 1.046(a slight stuck sparge due to large amount of grain) possibly due to the starter I used for this one I ended up with FG of 1.010. Samples tasted amazing during bottling. This might end up better than original.

beerloaf

Back