Stalled fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerzeedevil13

Reaction score
So I gave it a go at my first tripel and used WLP-530, which says is tolerant up to 15%abv. OG was 1080 and I was hoping to get it down to around 1010 which would put it around 9%abv but fermentation seems to have hit a wall and last reading had it at 1030 - 12 days in. The temp might have dipped below 66 one day but for the most part it stayed around 68-70. My intention was to have it around 72 degrees but the environment just wasn't cooperating. I'm wondering if just leaving it for another few weeks if not a month or so would get it down or if I needed to do anything to re-start or kindle up the yeast again (maybe raise the temp?) I thought I wouldn't need two vials to get to 9% since the yeast is advertised as a high gravity yeast but what would my options be at this point to get it down to the desired FG. My mistake was probably not using a starter, my first attempt at making anything above 7% - I usually just pitched the yeast and it took off.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Yeah maybe not quite enough yeast. What was the recipe?

went extract
steeped 1lb caramel pils 25 min at 160
9 lbs LME Light 2 Lbs belgian candy sugar
I only added 3 lbs at boil(60) the rest of the sugars and extract at 15
2oz hallertau at 60
1oz saaz at 5
WLP-530 (1 vial)

So I'm thinking I'll let it rest for a few weeks ? or should I add another vial.
Whats the process of adding more yeast ? do I shake it up or just pitch ?
I've made beefed up hefe's before with WLP-500 (around 6-7%abv) and those fermentations are vigorous and fast. I was thinking the 530 would be kind of the same maybe a little longer but I don't see it drying out to the range I want it unless I do something. I've read people adding sugar to the primary fermentor after the initial phase but is this going to get it down to the 1010 range or simply make the beer too sweet as the yeast seems to have crapped out.

A big beer like that requires that a yeast starter be made. There just isn't enough yeast in the vial.

At this point you can probably just add dry yeast to get it going again.

Quick Update:
I added small batches of dissolved table sugar into the secondary fermenter for around 2 weeks, every few days or so ( around 4-6 ounces at a time in 8 oz of water ).
This seemed to get a little action and after those few weeks of adding the sugar I left it for about a month sitting in the secondary. It only got down to 1020 and the sample was kinda sweet, my guess is all that sugar. Still not bad at around 9% but the sweetness had me thinking bad things...
After bottling around 3 weeks ago and cracking the first few bottles ( I coudln't just have one) it had a surprising caramel almost a butterscotch and raisin taste instead of the sweet sugary taste. Almost reminded me of Omeggang 3 philosophers a tad, not quite but a tad.
I'll brew this again but this time I'll either do a starter or pitch 2 vials but it didn't come out that bad given the circumstances.
I'm sure it'll get better with a few more weeks/months of aging.

Back