Looking for a good Fall beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cregan13

Reaction score
I am looking for something that goes well with the smell of burning leaves. Something that just screams - October!!! Of course I thought of an Octoberfest first, but my refrigeration capacity is at a max with my other pet projects. Can anyone suggest a good ale that makes you think it's time to jump on the hay cart and go-a-pumpkin-pickin'?

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh what the hell, I owe this site and I am never going commercial.

I made a roasted pumpkin seed ale last year that is really seasonal and good.

Pumpkin beers have been done to death. The pumpkin seed (IMHO) is a completely different animal more akin to a nut than a fleshy gourd.

If you are interested, I will post notes.

There are a couple good "faux" Oktoberfest recipes in the database -- fermented as ales (EdWort and BierMuncher each have one, I think). Though I'm interested to hear about the pumpkin seed ale!

I find the problem with pumpkin ales is timing...by the time you get ripe pumpkins and then brew the beer, it's late fall. 'course, you can always use canned pumpkin.

indeed. that was fast.

Ag or extract, it was a very basic pale ale recipe, unhopped. (6 lbs 2 row or 3 lbs light DME 1 lb sugar)

I used WL English Ale yeast.

When said ale is done fermenting, take then 4 cups or so of pumpkin seeds. Roast on a cookie sheet with 1 tbsp of butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon.

Roast until almost burnt.....

dump the whole mess into the secondary (or primary) and let it sit until airlock activity stops.

Age for a month or two if you can.

If you CAN'T...use 1/2 oz or so of cascade to bitter and don't raost the seeds quite so dark.

(the burnt seeds bitter)

Thanks for posting it. Your secret is safe with me. I'll be going AG if you have any more info to share.

Will post how it goes.

I hope you can find pumpkin seeds! I have actually aged mine since last halloween. It is delicious. I plan to keep doing that, brewing it a year ahead.

I ACTUALLY USED BULLION HOPS!!!! Just 1/2 oz, and it didn't really need it. The burnt seeds and cinnamon actyually add plenty of "bitter". A little hard to precisely measure though in IBUs (no place for it in beersmith ;)).

Good luck. I have seriously gotten really amazing reviews.

Back