Keg secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
billfillmaff said:
Could I just use my keg as a secondary and release pressure once a day or so?

Yes, and if you get something like this:

Then you can build up a controlled pressue in the keg. Use a temp vs pressure table to see what pressure you need to get the desired carbonation at the current temp of the beer.

If you get a bleeder with a pressure adjustable pressure valve (http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16772), it's even easier since you can set the max pressure to your desited carbonation-pressure. But these are more expensive.

If you plan to fully carbonate in the seconday, make sure you rack when there is enough fermentable extract left in the green beer or add some unfermented wort/dme/corn sugar to get the desired CO2 production.

Kai

Well i dont really want to pressurize it. Just use it as a secondary, then when its done, throw it in the fridge and carbonate.

billfillmaff said:
Well i dont really want to pressurize it. Just use it as a secondary, then when its done, throw it in the fridge and carbonate.

The CO2 comes for free :).

One thing you may want to do, is to rack it to another keg once the secondary fermentation is done. This will get the beer off the yeast. Depending on the amount of yeast that you expect in the secondary, you can shorten the dip tube a little bit.

If you have pressurized the beer during secondary ferment, you will have to push it to the other keg under pressure. Not a problem if you have the gizmo shown above.

Kai

I use kegs for secondaries almost all of the time. About the only exceptions are very high gravity ales that I finish with a high ABV yeast. Depending on the ale, I might filter it to another keg or just chill it.

That's cool, Kai, I've never seen one of those.

I got a keg a while back that's leaky, so it won't hold pressure. I cut about an inch off the diptube, so any trub will stay behind if I use CO2 to transfer it to the serving keg. Cheap, and works well!

Sam75 said:
That's cool, Kai, I've never seen one of those.
I came across this when reading up on German fermentation techniques. It's pretty common over there. First I thought building one myself, but I had a hard time fining the right pressure gauge. And even when I found some that would work it would have cost me ~$12 to make one. So I sprung for the $18 at the LHBS because I needed it fast.

Kai

I'm using a corny as secondary right now. Seems to be working OK. I just give the release valve a quick tug every day or two. I'll be racking to a serving keg this weekend, so hopefully all will be well.

Back