Hefe yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobie

Reaction score
I'm creating my own Hefeweizen recipe and was wondering if anyone has yeast recommendations. I want something more American, like pyramid, and less Bavarian.

If you're looking for more American, I'd just stick with a classic American ale strain (1056, WP001, US-05, etc.) and ferment at a low temp (65ish). Most of the hefeweizen yeasts are going to produce some levels of esters/phenols, and if you're looking to avoid that I'd just leave that out of the equation. The American ale yeasts will let the wheat shine through so long as you can keep them cool enough.

If you are looking to brew a true, traditional Hefeweizen the recipe is nothing more than 50% German Wheat and 50% German Pilsner with one 60 minute addition of Hallertauer Hops and a Hefeweizen yeast, I like WY3068 as I can balance the banana and clove notes pretty well with temperature control. I prefer the clove so I ferment at 60-62, if you prefer the banana then 66-70. I primary for 2 weeks and then bottle condition for two weeks.

WLP 320 might be a good choice for you. Its a Hefe strain, but dialed waaaay down on the banana/spice note. That, or do what erikpete18 says and use good ol' Chico/US-05/1056/001.

Try 1010 - American Wheat. We're drinking this now, and it came out very close to the Boulevard/Pyramid wheats. Fermented mid 60's, it kicked sulfur for a couple weeks in primary, but once that subsided we bottled and it turned out a lot better than I expected.

This is the yeast recommended by my homebrew store that I am going with. How long was it in the primary?

If you're talking about the 1010, we went four weeks in primary (waiting for sulfur to clear rather than an attempt at clearing the beer) and another 4 weeks in bottle.

I just love US-05 in my American wheat. It gets a lot of fruity flavors like orange and grapefruit but none of the banana and clove flavors like in a Bavarian Hefe.

I just finished fermenting a hefe with wyeast 3056 Bavarian wheat blend. It is a Bavarian strain blended with a very neutral ale strain. I am very pleased with the result. Very little clove/banana. Malt and hops come through much more.

Back