My newest oldest grill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 1966 Sazco Kamado. It's the first kamado to be granted a US patent. It was stored in a barn for 25+ years and is in excellent condition. I polished the aluminum lower damper door, replaced the cracked ceramic top damper with a Kamado Joe daisy wheel, replaced gasket, and patched a few minor cracks in the fire box. I also drilled a holle for the thermometer, talk about being nervous! It works great and you'd never know it was 45 years old.

Here is a brisket on it a month or so ago.

Its grate is 18" and all together it weighs about 170lb.

grill 2.jpg

grill 1.jpg

I didn't even know those thing had been aronud nearly that long. That looks amazing. Nice find.

What did you pay for it?

I've been eyeing my local craigslist for a used Green Egg; they show up now and again but are expensive.

I paid $150 for it on Ebay and drove about an hour to pick it up. They're were a few people bidding on it but shipping was $200 bucks or something crazy. The guy from the Naked Whiz contacted me and would like to buy it if I ever decide to part with it.

Its actually bright orange, pic doesn't show that very well.

Back