Inverted Keg for Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_B_Mongo

Reaction score
Today I scored a sanke keg at a garage sale for $12. (my conscience is clear, they tried to return it to the liquor store, but didn't have the necessary paper work and were turned away)

Anyway, my idea it to remove the spear, cut the bottom of the keg, and weld a SS elbow in the top, and install a false bottom. That way I could get complete drainage from my MT.

Has anybody done this? (pics if ya got 'em) Does anyone see any reason why I should avoid this and just go the traditional route?

Thanks, and happy brewing!

Instead of welding, a 2" (I believe) triclamp fitting mates right up to the spear opening! There's some info around here. People do and have done it.

Yep - a 2" Tri-Clover fits the sanke spear hole.

Brewers' Hardware fermenter kit is designed this way, and is one of the greatest fermenting accessories I've ever bought :ban:

No reason you couldn't attach a 2" sanitary x 1/2" NPT fitting and attach a valve. Or a 2" sanitary elbow, for that matter...

Or you can get a 2" sanitary cap, drill a hole in it, and mount a weldless ball valve.

About 10 ways to skin this cat - But they all wind up delicious! :D

Thanks, I ran a search, but came back with 18 pages of results...searched "inverted keg", came back with everything from making inverted sugar, kegging info, etc. etc. I faithfully looked through all the pages-still nothing usable.
If anybody who has done this could post some pics of it in use in your system, as well as your thoughts on it, it would be much appreciated!

Yep - a 2" Tri-Clover fits the sanke spear hole.

Brewers' Hardware fermenter kit is designed this way, and is one of the greatest fermenting accessories I've ever bought :ban:

No reason you couldn't attach a 2" sanitary x 1/2" NPT fitting and attach a valve. Or a 2" sanitary elbow, for that matter...

Or you can get a 2" sanitary cap, drill a hole in it, and mount a weldless ball valve.

About 10 ways to skin this cat - But they all wind up delicious! :D

How would clean this fermenter if you don't cut the top off it? I have a keg sitting around not doing much and would love to make it into a 10 gallon fermenting chamber.

http://www.brewershardware.com/Sanke_Fermenter_Instructions.html

Cleaning the Sanke Keg Fermenter Kit

Cleaning the Sanke Keg Fermenter is best done using Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW), Oxyclean or an equivalent cleaner and hot water. The easiest way to do this is to mix a few gallons of cleaner in the keg and put it up on a burner. Be sure the opening is not obstructed (remove the Sanke Fermenter Conversion Kit completely) and bring the solution to a boil. Shut off the flame and allow the keg to cool back down. Once it is cool, you can roll the keg on the ground and/or us a carboy brush to reach the inside of the top. The steam will have loosened the kreusen ring and the PBW solution should take care of the rest. Rinse your fermenter well and and turn it upside down to drain.

How would clean this fermenter if you don't cut the top off it? I have a keg sitting around not doing much and would love to make it into a 10 gallon fermenting chamber.

It's easy to clean. A hot Oxy soak will do it. Then I sanitize to store it. On brew day I put a few gallons of water in it and put it on the burner. The steam will kill anything left.

ive been thinking about this as well, and i bet i could use the piece of SS i cut off of the bottom as a false bottom for the MLT... ok so lets say im going to do that... should i go with drilling hundreds of tiny little holes? or would a slotted design work as well?

i inverted the keg, cut the bottom off and am now using it as a false bottom. 2" tri-clamp to 1/2" ball valve on the underside. thanks for the inspiration!

Hey mrbubbly thats what I'm doing too... probably solder some threaded rod to the tri clover to fasten the fb down to.

Nice design with the slots and holes together.

Back