co2 tank leak question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLivermore

Reaction score
Pretty sure this had a slow silent leak, just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. I am on a serious budget here and do not have proper tools. I attached the regulator with a pliers. It was obviously leaking (hissing), then it seemed like I got it okay.

Fortunately I guess the tank lasted through that keg of beer, but when I went to hook up the next it seemed to be out of air.

I have gone as basic as I can, loosening the regulator and switching it to "on" and I get nothing -- I don't have a scale either but the tank seems light. So basically I think i wasted an entire tank!

Has anyone had any experience with this? I had it at 30 psi to carb so I'm a bit surprised it could have such a slow silent leak.

Sounds like you didn't have the regulator completely sealed to the tank. Time to get the proper tools to seat the regulator to the tank. You might want to purchase some teflon tape too.

Thanks. Is there a standard regulator-size wrench? How do I figure out which one to buy?

A crescent wrench can be used for many things, so that's what I would suggest if you're short on tools.
Did you put the fiber gasket between the reg and the tank? You need to get it really tight, and then check it every so often to make sure it stays tight (mine will loosen sometimes... don't know why).

you need a pretty big crescent wrench for the regulator nut. Try Harbor Freight if you have one in your area. You can pickup some pretty cheap tools that will do the job there. They do mail order too.

You really need to tighten everything as tight as you can get it in these systems. Even a tiny leak can drain a tank in a few days. It gets expensive. Trust me I've burned through a few tanks of CO2 at $15-$20 bucks a pop.

Hope you're using keg lube as well. It goes on any gaskets. They trend to leak without it. You can also use any foods grade silicon grease as well. Apply liberally to o-rings in your lid and on your posts.

Back