Nugget hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramerica

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed a single hop (nugget) IPA? Wondering what the flavors are that stand out. Is it piney or more herbal? Also, would an IPA bittered with nugget hops and finished with cascade be a good combination? Thanks.

I use Nugget a lot. I grow it. I have used as a single hops. It is herbal, peppery almost. It is a favorite of mine.

I also use it as a bittering with cascade. I added cascade at 60 min and Nugget at 15 too. I have dry hopped with it, a favorite, and it turns out great. It goes well with Simcoe too.

I can't say I have found issue with it.

I do make an IPA with it. recipe
below

9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.00 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 12.00 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 44.5 IBU
3.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

45 min Mash In Add 15.63 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F

Sparge Water: 4.09 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F

I'm curious to hear the consensus on this as well, as I recently harvested my nuggets and am dying to use them.

I'm thinking a single hop IPA too.

I use my own, also. I get a floral, spicy aroma & flavor from mine. I LOVE the solo-Nugget brews. Despite the ~13%aa, i think it's a VERY viable variety for all additions.

I did a nugget/vienna SMaSH, it was ok, aroma was great, but extremely floral, to much for my liking.

I did an all nugget pale ale. Gave a nice spicy peppery and herbal flavor and aroma. It was a bit too much for me, so the next brew I split it with cascade. That is an awesome combination, and is basically my haus pale. Bitter to 25-30 IBU (with nugget or some other high AA hop like magnum), and even split 1 oz each nugget and cascade for both the 10 minute and flameout hops. Then I usually dry hop with some combination of the two depending on if I want it more herbal or citrisy.

How do you guys think Nugget would do for aroma with Fuggles on a Nut Brown Ale, possibly toward a holiday spiced Ale? Would the "spiciness" you mention compliment the sweet profile of a holiday ale?

Update: brewing a nugget IPA as we speak. I used .5 oz nugget and .5 oz warrior for 60 minutes. Then 1.5 oz nugget at 5 minutes and 2 oz at 1 minute. The smells bubbling out of it are incredible. I'm still debating on whether to dry hop with all nugget or throw in some cascade. I fighting with myself to keep it all nugget so I get a feel of my nugget hops. Did a late extract addition and beer calculus says its 100 IBU's. Crossing my fingers...

Update: brewing a nugget IPA as we speak. I used .5 oz nugget and .5 oz warrior for 60 minutes. Then 1.5 oz nugget at 5 minutes and 2 oz at 1 minute. The smells bubbling out of it are incredible. I'm still debating on whether to dry hop with all nugget or throw in some cascade. I fighting with myself to keep it all nugget so I get a feel of my nugget hops. Did a late extract addition and beer calculus says its 100 IBU's. Crossing my fingers...

While I say keep the dryhops all nugget for your own research's sake, the combination of nugget/cascade is amazing IMHO. Let us know how it turns out!

Definitely different than anything I've ever had, and not necessarly in a bad way. The only explanation of flavors have been herbily, and that would be the only description I would also use. I didn't like it at first, but it has grown on me. Next time I would add some kind of citrius hop as a finisher.

I brewed a 100% Nugget pale ale. Grist was something like 9lb 2 row, 1lb Honey malt, 1lb flaked barley. It's my go to APA grist and I've made a killer all Citra pale with it so I know it's solid. I added 2oz whole leaf homegrown Nugget at 10, 5, and flame out. Dry hopped with 7oz (I know) of the same for 5 days. I think my hops were either super low AA or I harvested them too early last fall because there was hardly any hoppiness, flavor or aroma. So I added 2oz of commercial Nugget pellets to the keg. 7 days on, it has a huge melon flavor/aroma. Quite a bit of herbal character as well, as others have mentioned. It's a very "unique" beer, and definitely drinkable, but my experience with Nugget is that it's more of a "team player" hop. I'm going to add 2oz of Cascade to the keg and try it in a few days.

Latest posts

Back