Question about Using a Dehumidifier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseysunshineabe

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have begun picking the hops that are growing at my house. I don't know what kind, as they were growing there when we moved in. I started drying them in the basement on screens that are resting on chairs with a box fan on low near them. For the first few screens, I turned off the dehumidifier in the basement because I thought it may damage the hops in the drying process. So, I'm wondering, is it a good or bad idea to keep the dehumidifier on?

I'd keep it on, otherwise you're likely just recirculating whatever moisture is pulled out of the cones. The dehydrator won't over-dry the hops...

Cheers!

Dehumidifing the hops is the goal of drying them. If you do it without heat you'll keep oils that usually are lost. The oast I am working on has no heat source and only uses a dehumidifier to bring the hops to the right moisture content.

Latest posts

Back