Yeast Bed "Lifter"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanmx48

Reaction score
Hi,

I've brewed 2 batches so far and I love this hobby. I can't believe how good the beer comes out! I was wondering if anybody has ever tried using something like cheese cloth or some other device to "lift" the yeast bed out of the fermenter. The idea would be to line the primary fermenter with some kind of cheese cloth or other straining device, let it ferment, and then gently lift the trub up, through, and out of the beer. My thought is that you could use your bottling bucket as your primary and bottle right out of it. Thanks

No, because by lifting the trub out you'll resuspend hop matter and yeast back into the beer. If you leave it undisturbed for 2 or 3 weeks the yeast cake will compact and you can rack right off the yeast cake without disturbing it.

If you want to take it a step further you can put gelatin finings in to further congeal the yeast cake.

OK, thanks guys. I'm going to look into the geletin finings. I "cold crashed" my second batch and that worked amazingly!

That, and yeast are microscopic. They are much smaller than any strainer/cheesecloth thing you could dream up.

Sure, you'd maybe "catch" the big hops particles, but you'd just resuspend everything that just spend all that time clearing out. Of course, the biggest reason to not do this is to avoid oxidation.

Back