Starter/Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ρ®ïMσ

Reaction score
I'm brewing 2 different batches a week apart that both call for the same yeast. I dont know the target OG for either, but I do know the projected ABV for one is ~7 and the other is prob ~9.5-10. My plan was to pitch vial of whitelabs to a 1L starter (~1.040) a week before and ferment out completely on stir plate and once complete remove from stirplate and immediately divide in two sanitized mason jars. For the lower grav I was gonna make another 1L starter from slurry from one jar and for the higher I was gonna pitch slurry to a 2L starter. Would this be under-pitching? I'm reading all the washing threads so after these batches I'll have plenty of yeast from here on out.
ρ®ïMσ

Why not just make a 2L starter for the first beer with the vial. Pitch that, then use your wine thief to get a cup off the top of beer one a few days before Beer 2 brew day, and make a 2L starter with that for beer two. When Beer 1 is done (moved to secondary or bottled), then get your mason jars and yeast washing instructions, and use the slurry to harvest the yeast for future batches.

I'd make a two liter starter and keep 10-20% of the starter in a sterilized mason jar. Then use this to make your second starter. Seems simpler than taking the yeast from a carboy or ale pail

I'd make a two liter starter and keep 10-20% of the starter in a sterilized mason jar. Then use this to make your second starter. Seems simpler than taking the yeast from a carboy or ale pail

I split off starters too, but not washing yeast is like poring money down the drain.

Back