Plum Porter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
I've been given a challenge by a friend to brew a beer with plums. I think I want to make a Baltic Porter and somehow add the plum element. I know that special B and other specialty grains can lend a plum character but it needs to actually contain plums. Anyone have a good base recipe to use for this and how should I add the plum (i.e. juice, whole plum, to boil, in secondary, etc.)?

I think ripe plums have a rather delicate taste and would require something light for the flavor to be there... like a blonde ale, cream ale, wheat, etc. On the other hand with less ripe plums they can be rather acidic and tart and I would think a darker beer would be more appropriate.

I guess it depends on how many plums you will be using, how ripe they are and how much plum flavor you want in the beer. If anything you could always try prunes which might give it more concentrated flavor and would give the drinkers a lot more bowel urgency. If I were using plums I would cut them up into relatively small piceces and then add a tiny amount of water with 1/4-1/2 of a campden tablet overnight then add to beginning of secondary.

Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back