Hop sidearm and burr question with pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitehause

Reaction score
I have a couple second year Centennial that are doing good, but I've noticed that the upper sidearm laterals are pretty short and the growth tip of the laterals are turning to burrs after only 3 or 4 inches. Being new to hop growing, I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
BTW...the lower laterals(from 4 to 8ft) have 2 ft side arms.

First Pic is the short side arm.
Second pic is the lower long side arms from the same plant.

946538_10200136834332712_1756759311_n.jpg

1011176_10200136839772848_493307200_n.jpg

In my experience, that's totally normal for Centennial, very similar to Fuggles - and totally different from Cascade and Chinook, which send out very long side-arms. Here's a pic of the upper half of my Centennials from last year showing the lack of lengthy side-arms and how tight to the main bines the clusters of cones formed...

Cheers!

hops_13july2012_03.jpg

Good to know. Even though they are short, they're putting out 6 to 10 burrs per side so the harvest should be pretty good for a second year.

In my experience, that's totally normal for Centennial, very similar to Fuggles - and totally different from Cascade and Chinook, which send out very long side-arms. Here's a pic of the upper half of my Centennials from last year showing the lack of lengthy side-arms and how tight to the main bines the clusters of cones formed...

Cheers!

Yea my cascade side arms are ridiculous, atleast 4 feet long if not longer...so long they drooped down from the weight and started wrapping back up themselves!

Latest posts

Back