hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of IPS sunday, and missed a couple things at the end, just wastn thinking.
One thing I forgot is to take a hydrometer reading before I pitched the yeast. It was a kit so I am sure it was pretty close tobeing right. I didnt take one after I pitched. What are the effects of doing it after you pitched? besides maybe taking some yeast out, will it mess up the reading?

Taking one today won't really mean much. It won't be an original gravity reading, because the yeast have been fermenting for two days. It won't be a final gravity reading because the fermentation still most likely has a few more days to go.

Even after fermentation is complete, an FG reading won't mean much because you don't have an OG reading. All you will be able to do is use your final reading compared to what the kit said the expected OG should be.

At this point all you would be doing is risking an infection for a reading that isn't going to tell you much. Chalk it up to experience and take readings on your next batch.

Yeah I took one right after I pitched and it was right on, I just didnt knwo if the yeat effects that reading at all. I dont know how I looked over it this time, right before I was going to put it in my BB I told myself take a reading and check the temp one more time to make sure it is the right temp. I forgot to do both :(
I pithced a little warm but oh well, it took off like crazy that night

I'm sorry, I didn't read your post thoroughly enough. Taking the reading after pitching shouldn't really have any effect on the accuracy. The temperature when you took the reading will have an effect, depending on what temperature your hydrometer is calibrated to. It shouldn't be more than a couple of points difference.

Since you do have an OG to compare to, give your brew another week and then take a reading. I think you are good to go!

Back