Adding fruit (strawberries)-abv ques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namyarb3

Reaction score
Just added strawberries to my secondary of a blonde ale. Wondering how my gravity readings will be effected.

OG-1.078
FG-1.018(out of the primary after 16 days)

When racking to the secondary, i added (roughly) 6lbs of strawberries. I think the yeast will eat up some sugars and create more alcohol.

1: Is that correct?

2: Will the FG from after I rack to a tertiary(?) be accurate with relationship to the OG?

If it's not a straight across calculation, is there an additional random # that I can add/subtract to my gravity readings?

Thanks for the help, guys. I have learned a s**t-ton from this site, and I appreciate everyones help for anything!!

thanks
chris.

it's pretty much like adding sugar or more malt to your recipe. You can use brewing software to figure out how much sugar the berries will add and if you've input your yeast strain correctly it'll calculate the ABV properly.

You can just add the gravity increase from the berries right to the OG. Depending on just how many berries you add your FG shouldn't change a whole lot.

Hope this helps!

My chart/calculations seem to come up with a total of .3 lbs of sugar added from 6 lbs of strawberries. I'm sure there's a lot of variables and other charts, but would be an estimate for ya

Thanks!
That's roughly what I came out with, as well. Put it in beersmith as 4.5oz of sucrose after boil. I'm pretty sure sucrose is the kind of sugar in strawberries.
Didn't change the est FG by a bunch (as it shouldn't), but my est abv is 7.6 now instead of 7.2.
My gravity readings last night, before the berries and after racking to secondary put it at 7.9% right now. i'll crest 8%...for sure.

Nothing like an imperial fruit beer! I made a strawberry wheat that ended up at 10% abv. Taste was awesome, but it was a very MEAN keg of beer if not respected:drunk:

Just finished a keg of a 9.2% IIPA that was awesome...and sneaky. No hot alcohol taste, just delicious chinook hop punch to the face.
Really wasn't going for something above 7%, but the ingredients I chose had other plans:D
And it tasted awesome when I sampled it during the racking yesterday. Super clean blonde ale.
Thanks for the input!
chris.

For the most part, adding fruit will not affect the alcohol content of the beer. The amount of sugar it adds (about 10% by weight .... varies by fruit), is offset by the beer/alcohol the fruit absorbs. It is possible to have a net reduction in alcohol by adding fruit due to this affect. Just call it even.

Latest posts

Back