does this look normal to you???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwk1972

Reaction score
I did my first brew( Brewer's Best Wiesenbier) on Feb. 15 and have been trying real hard to not "peek". Took a couple days to get going but once it did the air lock was bubbling away for 3-4 days. The other day I decided to take a quick look and lifted the lid just a little and was surprised to see no foam layer, not sure if that's normal after a week or not. This afternoon I took a closer look and saw little brown specs floating and am hoping it's not an infection. Does this look normal to you? It smells like beer with no unexpected smells. I will take a gravity reading tomorrow to see where it is.

Untitled by jwk1972, on Flickr

Looks perfectly normal! You've made beer! Congrats!

(that's yeast floating; the krausen has dropped which is normal, leaving behind just some remnant floaters)

So with that question answered... How long would you let it sit before I bottle it? It's coming up on 2 weeks (Monday I think) and I'm in the middle of moving the family to a new home that we will be in by next weekend. You think this will be ready to bottle by the end of the week if the FG is good? I can let it sit a bit longer if needed because I'll have access to the old house for another week or so.

Personally I'd bottle it at the old house for a few reasons. It's easier and safer to transfer bottles, it's probably better for the beer to sit just a little longer, any mess can be cleaned up easily because the house is empty, and last buy not least you can say the beer was the last thing out of the old house.

Back