Yeast Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
I am just curious, I made a yeast starter my last 2 batches and that worked like a charm. My question is though, can you make a yeast starter from priming sugar? Only reason I ask is DME is pretty expensive at my brew store...like $4 for 1lb and priming sugar is about $.75 a bag......Thanks

GABrewboy said:
I am just curious, I made a yeast starter my last 2 batches and that worked like a charm. My question is though, can you make a yeast starter from priming sugar? Only reason I ask is DME is pretty expensive at my brew store...like $4 for 1lb and priming sugar is about $.75 a bag......Thanks
Yes you can, but you will probably be unhappy with the results. IMHO, this is not the place to save $1.

Okay, very cool then......will stick with the expense of getting DME......:) Just wasn't sure if that would work or not!!! Now I know it won't taste very good, so ditch that idea........:D

GABrewboy said:
My question is though, can you make a yeast starter from priming sugar?

Barley malt contains nutrients that are necessary for healthy yeast growth. This is just another reason why it is so ideal for brewing. These nutrients are not present in corn sugar. I could see it work if you are adding the nutrients (like you would for a cider fermentation). But I'm not sure if this is the right way to go. A better way of saving DME would be using less and making a lower gravity starter. This may result in an osmotic shock when pithing the yeast but it should not affect yeast growth.

Or you get a stir plate which gives you 4 to 10x the yeast growth compared to a starter capped with an airlock. This way you can use smaller starter volumes to achieve the pitching rate you are after.

Latest posts

Back