Orange/Grapefruit juice for flavoring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullface1818

Reaction score
After successfully making a Hefeweizen with some lemonade added to it for flavoring, Im wondering how adding some blood orange or Grapefruit juice would affect my future wheat beers.
(Where I to try it I would pick only the juice that has no preservatives, as I did with my lemonade hefe

can it work out for the best?

You could always just add the juice to the glass instead. Just a thought. I saw a Brewing TV episode where they did this but have no real experience with juices

I'm wondering the same since I have an ipa I wanna make with ginger and blood orange but I can't find any, only the juice. I figure, in theory, you can make a blood orangeade and use that since juice is juice your just subbing the fruit.

I made a pale ale with quite a grapefruit taste with no grapefruit at all. I used Citra hops for bittering (Citra hops carry a bit of flavor over when used for bittering) and Cascade for dry hopping. This beer tastes a lot like a carbonated grapefruit juice with an alcohol kick. I gotta make this again.

Those are probably the Blood Orange hefe recipe out of Extreme Brewing. At least that's where I got my idea, but it says to use the fruit and peel. Anybody have an idea how much juice is equal to a lb of fruit?

I made a pale ale with quite a grapefruit taste with no grapefruit at all. I used Citra hops for bittering (Citra hops carry a bit of flavor over when used for bittering) and Cascade for dry hopping. This beer tastes a lot like a carbonated grapefruit juice with an alcohol kick. I gotta make this again.

Ill keep that in mind for the next time I do a bulk Hop order. I'm currently working with 3 varieties that I have in large amounts, but Citra, if its available, Will be purchased on the next group buy.

I still wouldn't mind completing with a bottle of organic Blood Red orange juice. The recipes Ive seen require the whole fruit but hey, as the other guy said, Subbing out juice for fruit can work if you do it right.

Use the juice. One bottle is 5 pounds of fruit.

http://www.dreamfoods.com/italian_volcano-blood_orange-tangerine-juices.php

Compensate for the volume of the juice by reducing the amount of water you use by an equal amount.

Blood-Orange-and-Tangerine.png

Yes, definitely. Add the juice to the secondary or to the primary after fermentation is complete.

The juice will restart the fermentation in either vessel with or without the yeast cake. It can be a vigorous secondary fermentation, so beware.

Do what you like, as that's the joy of making your own beer, but I'm in the camp of not "fruiting" my beer. Trying different yeasts, hops, and fermentation profiles to get subtle flavors is much more fulfilling to me personally. You'll have to account for the sugars obviously and keep in mind that fresh fruit is different 3 months later.

Back