Columbus might be a hermie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester5120

Reaction score
Found these pods on one of my plants this year. From what I read on here before those are pollen sacs and my plant is most likely a hermaphrodite. Just wondered if someone could confirm this? Also when I've read about this before it was typically on Columbus plants. Are these the most common for that to happen?

ForumRunner_20130728_121602.png

Mine did it last year... 1st year of growth. Contacted Great Lake Hops (who are amazing) and stated it can be caused by growth stress. They stated that all of THEIR plants are absolutely 100% female (YMMV). Just one of those natural occurrences. Just remove the male parts and pitch them in the trash.

I castrated the pervert. is there anything to really worry about. from what i read from your link and a few others the hermie pollen sacs don't do anything

I strung my Zeus late this year and the burrs are just now forming, including male bloom. I think the 'stress' that everyone claims to be the cause the excess of male bloom may be 'moderate' growing temperatures because she was all female last year. Last year we had many more than normal 90 degree days with much below normal precipitation and there was very little if any male bloom. Some like it hot!

Back