Opinions on this equipment kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatelliteGuy

Reaction score
Today, I was in Save On Foods, picking up a couple things for supper, when I came across the brewing section, where I saw a starter equipment kit, for $50. It's made by Spagnols. It includes (from memory):
  • 5Gal carboy
  • fermentation bucket
  • thermometer
  • hydrometer with sample tube
  • sample thief
  • racking tube
  • hose with clip
  • sanitation solution

Does this seem like a good deal for a good kit, or can I do better?

I guess what I'm getting at is, is this a good quality kit?

Today, I was in Save On Foods, picking up a couple things for supper, when I came across the brewing section, where I saw a starter equipment kit, for $50. It's made by Spagnols. It includes (from memory):
  • 5Gal carboy
  • fermentation bucket
  • thermometer
  • hydrometer with sample tube
  • sample thief
  • racking tube
  • hose with clip
  • sanitation solution

Does this seem like a good deal for a good kit, or can I do better?

I guess what I'm getting at is, is this a good quality kit?

Ditto on northern brewer also see midwest supply.Midwest is where i wound up buying mine when i got started.

My first kit was the one you are talking about from save on. I'd go for that. The primary fermentation bucket is not ideal, but every thing else that comes in that kit is decent. If I'm not mistaken it does come with a better bottle carboy. The link posted above is a decent kit, but it is in US dollars and the shipping will be more etc. Once you get hooked on homebrewing, you will acquire a lot more equipment, fast.

Midwest Supplies.....

Brewing Basics Equipment List:

• Instructional Homebrewing Video or DVD
• 71 page instructional book
• 6.5 Gallon Fermenter and Lid
• 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Spigot
• 8 Oz. of Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
• Airlock (Keeps air out of the fermenter)
• Hydrometer (Determines alcohol content)
• Bottle Brush
• Twin Lever Red Baron Bottle Capper
• Bottle Caps
• Liquid Crystal Thermometer
• Bottle Filler
• Racking Tube with Bucket Clip
• Siphon Tubing

$59.95 + shipping

Northern Brewer

* Six gallon fermenting bucket with lid
* Six gallon bottling bucket with spigot
* Fermentation lock
* Siphon tubing
* Bottle filler
* Bottle brush
* AutoSiphon
* Bottle capper
* 144 bottle caps
* Hydrometer
* 8 oz. Easy Clean Sanitizer
* Complete instructions

$75.99 + 7.99 shipping

Midwest does look better on their basic kit. My mistake.

One factor that needs to be kept in mind, is that I'm in northern Alberta, Canada. Nothing is shipped here for free. Many of those online brewing supplies companies, I've tried out their shopping cart, and the shipping (on just about anything) pretty much doubles the price. This kit, at Save On Foods, has no shipping. I pick it up, and take it home. The one LHBS in town has starter kits, for $100.
I was mainly wondering, at half the price, would I regret getting this kit?

One factor that needs to be kept in mind, is that I'm in northern Alberta, Canada. Nothing is shipped here for free. Many of those online brewing supplies companies, I've tried out their shopping cart, and the shipping (on just about anything) pretty much doubles the price. This kit, at Save On Foods, has no shipping. I pick it up, and take it home. The one LHBS in town has starter kits, for $100.

It has the very basics that will get you started but it wont take long before you add many more necessary items.

That's a fair price. You could probably buy those items individually for not much more (at least down here in Calgary), but at the same time, you will use everything in that kit. And you are absolutely right -- nobody will ship to northern Alberta for cheap (in fact, Midwest and Northern Brewer won't ship there at all). I say buy it - $50 is a very cheap way to get started.

Back