Safeale US 05 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codfather

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a quick question about yeast.

I want to buy several packs of dry yeast so I have them to hand should I need extra yeast. Im most likely going to be brewing IPA, Pale Ales and Altbiers. Will Safeale US 05 but ok for these styles of beer? Or is there a better dry yeast to get for these?

Is there any chart anywhere that lists which dry yeasts are good for each style of beer? ive tried to find something but not had any luck.

Not sure about the alt but everything else is good to go. 05 is what I keep on hand in the fridge.

Never used it for an Altbier, but US-05 is my go-to, always-have-some-on-hand yeast, and I use it for a lot of Pale Ales and IPAs. Maybe get some Notty for Altbiers. It will also work well for Pale Ales and IPAs with good temp control.

This is basically my house yeast, I use it for all my pales and IPA's. These are the majority of beers that I make. I rehydrate it per Palmer's how to brew. It has good attenuation and takes off quickly when rehydrated. It also gives off the fruity esters that I like in these styles of beers when fermented and pitched under 70 degrees.

I've found US05 is as good as any liquid yeast for clean pale ales and IPAs. I like to keep a couple packs on hand and cycle in the fresher yeast every time I brew.

I always have a pack or two of US-05 in the fridge. Great, clean yeast. Use it often whenI need a clean yeast.

I just brewed an IPA using BRY-97 and am interested to compare it. Sounds like it could be another good dry yeast alternative. I should know in a few weeks.

Back