What are all these grain types?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sokrateez

Reaction score
So I've been using this place for my brewing needs thus far. Under base malts, they just have things like "Canadian 2-Row", but I've seen some descriptors in certain recipes and in some discussions like "Marris Otter" or "Briess". Are these just like "brands" or like the corporation that produced the malt?

The reason being that I found somewhere a little closer that I can justify driving to if I want to buy in bulk, but they deal exclusively in "Briess" malt. Will using this malt make my beers turn out substantially different than if I used the malt from the store I linked above (if they even use different malt, maybe they use Briess too? No idea)?

Also what the hell is Victory® (why the trademark?) malt?

This malt game is confusing to me :confused:

Briess is a brand, Maris Otter is a type of UK 2-row that has a more distinct flavor.

Maybe this chart will help: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart

As you can see, Victory is a type of dark malt (6row) that requires mashing (There is some discussion as to why it would need mashing), I assume the trademark is them (Briess) trying to protect their process that makes it so.

Also here is a listing of maltings/maltsters around the world: http://brewingtechniques.com/bmg/adm.html

If you look under Briess, you will find the description of Victory.

Hope this helps:mug:

Okay so if I bought and used something branded "Briess 2-row base malt", then it would be effectively the same as buying the Canadian 2-row listed here? Or close enough.

you only really need to consider special base malts like marris otter or weyermann pilsner if you're starting to get super picky about making authentic-tasting import styles.

The 2-Row randy sells is the Gilbertson & Page OiO brand afaik.

G&P is located in Fergus, Ontario, so if you are going to be buying in bulk, they're probably your best bet (assuming <1 hr is an acceptable drive for you), you can email them for a product list, but I know they carry Weyermann and Muntons for sure, as well as their house brand OiO for Wheat and 2-Row malts. You will need to actually order from them and schedule a pickup (don't think you can just walk-in yet), but as far as prices go you probably won't find better unless you get in on a bulk purchase by joining a local brew club.

Important to note, when I say bulk I mean a 25kg sack at the minimum.

Back