When is a boil not just a boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman2U

Reaction score
Just made a batch of Biermunchers Cream of 3 Crops via BIAB. Pretty much followed the directions to a T except made it a 5.5 gallon batch. This is the second time I have made this, first time it came out perfect, but this time, with everything that I can think of being the same, I ended up with a much smaller batch.

Started out with 6.5 gallon of water, after mashing the grains, added back about a half gallon of more water and kicked in the boil. While it is cooling now and I don't know the final total, I think this round I am going to end up with just a tad more than 4.5 gallons where as the last time I had a little over 5 all times were pretty much the same. 90 mash, 90 boil. Also, this batch is a much darker color than the last time. Any ideas? Did I boil it much harder this time? Can you boil to hard? I am sure it is going to turn out fine, just wanted to know for future reference. Thanks

Did you have an equipment change? Any change in pre boil collection volume? If no to both, I would assume the boil ran hotter than last time causing the loss. Hop utilization and malt profile may be off a tad as well as color and original gravity, but I bet it still makes a great beer. If you didn't pitch yeast yet, you can add more boiled and chilled water to bring volume up. Or just record the changes and see how it plays out. If it is better than the last batch, you will be happy you made a record. Enjoy!

GREM135, unfortunately, my noobish butt forgot to get an OG the last time in order to compare.

CalmNcents, didn't think of that, but I guess I could add more water...Naw screw it....gonna ride it out and see what I get. Just curious how you guys do it.....A hard boil, or a slower rolling boil?

Hey I'm learning too, just bottled my 3rd batch last week. Still trying to make up my mind for the next batchn

OOPS If I am reading the Hydrometer correctly OG on this batch is 1.045. Biermunchers batch was 1.040 so I guess that is close enough for beer :D

Dang just remembered, put the beer in the fermenter and forgot to pitch the yeast...This just keeps getting better and better.

Conman2U said:
Dang just remembered, put the beer in the fermenter and forgot to pitch the yeast...This just keeps getting better and better.

I use a nice rolling boil, but when using wheat I boil hotter and longer (90 min) to knock out more dms. Just a bit hotter though, nothing extreme. If you just pitched that yeast, rock the fermentation vessel, get that baby aerated and happy. I bet your brew will be great.

Back