2nd AG mishapes and question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesster

Reaction score
So this batch went better than my first hit my strike temp doughed in and stirring i noticed a piece of my manifold floating around(PVC). Tried to stick hand in a glove and a bag to fix but water just to warm. Anyway i went on with the mash and sparge only to find when cleaning my MLT that the manifold had fell off of the main drain in front. I just mashed and sparged using only the little drain hole in front. The rest of the day went great besides a overwhelming amount of break and trub i lost around 1.5 gallons too. needless to say i ended up with around 4.25 gallons of 1.034 gravity beer. My question is since i already have pitched yeast and its fermenting in my bucket is it to late to add maybe some DME to boost my ABV. if not how much to add and how. Thank you for any advice

You could boil the DME to get a hot break, then cool it and add it to the beer already going. How much depends on where you want to end up in terms of OG (or where it should have been). If you just want to boost ABV, you could also add straight sugar, though that will dry your beer out more and may lead to a strange profile. You don't want to just add DME straight in, though, as you'll be introducing all that stuff that normally breaks out, besides the fact that you're at a big risk of contaminating your brew as well.

More info:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/adding-dme-primary-1-day-after-pitching-yeast-133265/
http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/241771

The_Mad_Scientist said:
Or you can leave it where it is at...and call it a session summer beer to drink on hot days.

Do this, and chalk it up to learning. I am blasting through my light weight ales now that it's warming up. Didn't brew enough I think.

I recently had efficiency issues with my Baltic Porter that was supposed to have a 1.089 OG and had 1.065. I boiled up 2 lbs DME in just under a half gallon of water and added about 24 hours after pitching the yeast. My gravity sample yesterday tasted fine, but I still have some time to go till it's finished. If you are way off of what you were shooting for, it can be done with some risk. If you are relatively close, a summer session brew wouldn't be bad either.

Thanks guys for the help think ill leave er call it a wine cooler lmao I will definatly have to fix my manifold I dont want to glue it all because I like being able to disassmble to clean but for some reason pvc fits tight when cold but after preheatin mlt pvc Is sloppy and not tight which os opposite of what I would think would happen since pvc should expand when hot right. Thanks for ur comments

I'd leave it like it is, sometimes we make our mistakes worse by trying to fix them.
Did you use pvc as your post stated or cpvc? I think the cpvc is reccomended for this. I worry about mine coming apart and am thinking about adding some sort of screen in the round cooler MLT above it. good luck, it's still beer,drink it

I've never had my cpvc manifold come apart, but rubberbands or string should work. I just push mine together hard.

I prob shoulda been more careful stirrin. And I way over pitched yeast because I didnt even think about not dumping my whole starter in. o well brew and learn

Back