safale no. 5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunpowder

Reaction score
I gotta say I'm impressed! I've used it in my first three batches so far with great results.... high activity within 24 hours. is wyeast really better?

I have been useing this alot. I still do liquid yeast and starters if it calls for it. But all in all 05 is my go to.

Gunpowder said:
I gotta say I'm impressed! I've used it in my first three batches so far with great results.... high activity within 24 hours. is wyeast really better?

It depends on the style. You have to pretty much use liquid strains to make a nice hefe or Belgian. That said, I feel that US-05 is pretty great for any kind of pale ale or IPA.

To my knowledge s-05, wlp001, wyeast 1056 are all of the same yeast strain. I have used 05, and 1056 both with great success and I almost always have a pouch or two of 05 in the fridge. I personally like to use 1056 instead because I feel like I have better control over how many cells I pitch by using liquid yeast and an appropriately sized starter. I almost exclusively use 05 for ciders and other small 1 gallon experiments. Some people have reported being able to taste a difference with liquid yeast coming out on top but I can not comment on this since I have never compared them side by side with the same beer.

Back