1.060 Bavarian Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
Me and couple of buds brewed up a nice AHBS mini-mash Bavarian Hefe today...

1% alcohol boost option and i got a nice 1.060 OG out of it... Blow off tube in place just in case (from what i read about hefe's)...

looking forward to this one... :mug:

P.S. Fatabbot, this one was on the spur of the moment, sorry i didn't have time to warn you. lets brew together soon... maybe your fryer and outdoors in 2-3 weeks, what do you say? i am thinking about an oatmeal stout next :mug: :ban:

EDIT: btw, here is a pic of kit
dcam1812fq6.jpg

It's all good bro. I took on an impromtu project this weekend, building a 16'x10' deck in my back yard. So that's eaten up most of my time the last few days. I'm trying to talk a couple of my buddies into brewing at my house next weekend and enjoying the new deck, but one of them is being stubborn as it's a long drive for him out to the 'burbs.

Let me know how the Hefe comes out. I brewed AHB's American Wheat. Easiest drinking, best lawnmower type beer I've ever had.

That's quite the impromptu project!

I've been building a second level to my deck, along with re-doing all the railings. It's sunny this morning, so this should be the day I get everything done except staining (just have to finish the steps and add some blocking to the existing deck (oh, and I need to fix the siding, that'll be next weekend). This project's pretty much eaten up the last half of my summer!

Well, the county and city both fubar'ed our property taxes in 2005 and 2006 by conveniently losing our homestead exemption. So we just got a few grand in refunds from them. Rented a Budget moving truck, picked up $300 worth of lumber and got to it. I guarantee you that my deck is much simpler than your project. Mine's just a simple rectangle and somehow the ground was perfectly level to begin with :mug:

Next month: Hardwood floors.....

Sorry Brewproject, didn't mean to hijack :)

The hijacking was my fault...

We had a simple rectangle, needed some more room (for outdoors brewing, you know!). I'm thinking lumber must be cheaper down by you, as well, 'cause $300 wouldn't buy me JACK up here.

Back to the OP...

Hey BrewProject,
I've brewed the Austin Homebrew Supply Hefe as a mini-mash some time back, I didin't opt for the boost in alcohol but my notes on that batch indicated a raging fermentation even at 62°F; subsided at 3 days. During racking had to sample it and it was "chewey" what the heck was I thinking? Nice banana with slight clove and a tad bubble-gum flavor at the finish. At kegging time, bubble-gum flavor was gone but the banana and hint of clove remained. At that time my notes only state, nice recipe from the AHS guys. I've brewed it a few time as extract, mini-, and AG before I took off and tried to develop my own Hefe.

Good idea on the blow-off tube as I almost forgot, that the krausen blew up through the 3-piece airlock on that particular batch. The fermentation chiller was a mess; haven't made that mistake again.

Oh, which yeast are they including with that recipe these days?

Jeffrey

runhard said:
Hey BrewProject,
I've brewed the Austin Homebrew Supply Hefe as a mini-mash some time back, I didin't opt for the boost in alcohol but my notes on that batch indicated a raging fermentation even at 62°F; subsided at 3 days. During racking had to sample it and it was "chewey" what the heck was I thinking? Nice banana with slight clove and a tad bubble-gum flavor at the finish. At kegging time, bubble-gum flavor was gone but the banana and hint of clove remained. At that time my notes only state, nice recipe from the AHS guys. I've brewed it a few time as extract, mini-, and AG before I took off and tried to develop my own Hefe.

Good idea on the blow-off tube as I almost forgot, that the krausen blew up through the 3-piece airlock on that particular batch. The fermentation chiller was a mess; haven't made that mistake again.

Oh, which yeast are they including with that recipe these days?

Jeffrey

i read about too many horror stories on the blow off with this batch... so far so good. fermentation has been good, strong and steady for almost 24 hours now.

they offer the following yeasts with this kit...
Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen
or
White Labe Hefeweizen Ale
or
Safbrew T-58

i opted for the dry Safbrew T-58. once the temps drop a little more i am anxious to try a liquid yeast. i was a little concerned about shipping with temps up there.
i guess i could have run across town to my LHBS, but was busy last week and didn't get a chance. i am sure they probably sell the above mentioned yeasts...

anyway, looking forward to a little banana/clove wheat beer... :mug:

well my blow off tube was not necessary, but i am glad i took the pre-caution...

agressive fermentation stopped after about 36 hours. i put the airlock in place @ around 48 hours.

still have a little bubbling... 1 bubble every minute or two.

racking this weekend and bottling my double chocolate stout. :mug: :rockin:

WOW, 6.3 % ABV when racking to the secondary..., almost 80% attentuation.

now that's what i talking about :ban:

very wheaty and slighty tangy when racking...

here's to some conditioning time

dcam1818pe0.jpg

dcam1821vo6.jpg

Awesome! I JUST brweed the exact same beer with the alchohol boost and got 1.059!! Mine should start bubbling today!

Back