Intermediate Book Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResumeMan

Reaction score
My wife has been getting into making cheese this year. She's been making chevre for over a year, and so far this year she's made 2 great brie's.

We currently have the Ricki Carrol book, and she was interested in getting another book. Her goal is to get something that discusses the fundamentals and theories in a little more detail (but she's not technical, so it would have to be in layman's language).

Looking at Amazon, it seems that the Joy of Cheese Making may be the way to go. The other main book that seems to be recommended is Artisan Cheese Making, though that one seems to be more beginner focused.

Anyone have any thoughts on these two, or recommendations for something else? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Artisan Cheese Making. It's the only cheese making book that I own. It goes into less detail compared to Ricki Carrol's book when it comes to general cheesemaking. It does have fantastic recipes.

I just received Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking but already think highly of it. For example I just read the entry for English Cheddar Style Cheese (the most recent cheese I made) and it's a straight forward 2 gallon recipe. Earlier I read why my Cambozola is a little bitter (page 301), I didn't know it could be the rennet. Now I do. The recipes I read so far are clear and concise. There is a lot more leafing to do before I start reading but my concern that it was going to be totally for market producers are gone.

I would second the above stated opinion about Artisan Cheese Making. I checked it out from my local library, and was a little disappointed in the general cheese making information, but the recipes sound pretty awesome.

Back