Oktoberfest questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrbetz

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good Oktoberfest extract recipe... Anyone have any good recipes , ideas or experience? I want to take on a challenge for myself

I'm looking for a good Oktoberfest extract recipe... Anyone have any good recipes , ideas or experience? I want to take on a challenge for myself

I've had quite a few oktoberfest 'marzen' lagers recently and have prepped myself for the eventual lager.....

most people don't do lagers until they have some experience and temperature control for the yeast....

besides this I think it should be straight forward..

looking forward to the developments of this thread.

Jrbetz said:

Do you have the ability to ferment at 50 degrees? And the ability to lager around 33-34 (basically room in a fridge) for a couple months?

I brewed my first one with great results but it was all grain. I'm sure we could do some translating and get something going with extract as well.

Do you have the ability to ferment at 50 degrees? And the ability to lager around 33-34 (basically room in a fridge) for a couple months?

I brewed my first one with great results but it was all grain. I'm sure we could do some translating and get something going with extract as well.

Yes I do have the ability for both fermenting at 50 and to lager.

make yourself a nice big starter, ferment at 50 for two weeks, then lager for a while. secondary for the lagering period if you want to. nothing to it.

I don't know what kind of extract you can get your hands on, but you could use some Vienna, Munich, and biscuit malts to flavor it up. I don't remember exactly my grain bill but I think it was half Vienna half Munich as the base. With a touch of pilsner malt, and some darker Munich, and maybe a little biscuit. Stick to noble hops and pitch a really nice size starter, or make a starter, cool for a couple days then decant so you don't end up with 3 liters extra in your wort. Also the White labs Oktoberfest yeast worked great... Do some mr malty calculations for your starter and you're all set. Best beer I've made so far... Did 3 weeks at 50f and then 8 weeks lagering in a secondary.

Back