Pitching Temp Too Low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawgBrewer

Reaction score
I followed the instructions on the yeast packet to allow the dry yeast to sit in some warm water for 20 mins before pitching. I pitched at about 74 degrees. I'm using the swamp cooler technique and added a few bottles of ice water after and the temp has gone down to about 68 degrees. I'm not going to add any more ice until I see some activity in the airlock. Do you think I'll be ok?

You will be fine, 68 is usually still within most ale fermenting temps. Even still pitching cold will just increase the lag before you start to see activity in the air lock.

That sounds great. I shoot for 68 for pitching and main fermentation temp and so far so good with several yeasts.

Not to worry....I have one in the basement that just started showing some activity after 12 hours....temp is 65...an ale using US05

I'm using a true brew nut brown ale recipe kit... does anyone know what kind of yeast that they use? It's a dry pack and the only description that they give is "ale yeast". I'm curious as to whether it would be worth me washing and keeping some for another brew.

Back