Perry/Cider Mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanmyth

Reaction score
I have a sack of Bartlett Pears chilling in my fridge along with a gallon of apple cider I picked up from a local orchard. I was thinking of chopping the pears and steeping them in the cider before fermenting both together with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. Thoughts? Is there any reason this would not turn out well? I want to get these pears used up before they go bad.

Looking to make a batch of about 2 gallons.

I have not had good luck fermenting pears/pear juice. It sounds good, but they dont seem to have a strong enough flavor to still taste good once the natural sugars ferment out. You may have better results fermenting the cider, stabilize, then add the pears to it in a secondary vessel as a flavoring agent.

you can freeze the pears in ziplock bags in the meantime, to prevent them from going bad, and it will help break down the cell walls allowing the flavor to be accessed easier.

Back